Friday, November 25, 2011

The Alternative to the Consumerist Christmas

     A few years ago, I proposed a consumerist Christmas alternative to my mother and husband: instead of buying gifts for each other, we would make gifts for each other. I knew that if I could get the two of them in on the idea, it would be an easy sell to the larger family, and even friends. The idea, however, was dead on arrival and nothing I said could change their minds in the least. My mother informed me that this would take all the fun out of Christmas. This pronouncement confused me initially until I put it in the context of my mother's shopping habit. She goes trawling through discount stores for any item that in any way reminds her of a loved one. She immediately buys these items and puts them in the closet until Christmas or a birthday arrives. By the time I had made the homemade Christmas suggestion, she would have had half a closet full of little items she was excited to give to us. I didn't want to ruin her Christmas, so I backed off. My husband's objection was much more difficult for me to swallow. He claimed that he didn't know how to make anything. I told him he could write something for me. Hell, he has a PhD in English. He can write something. He just kept saying no. It's hard to argue with "no." So that idea for getting away from consumerist Christmas was dead on arrival. Mind you, he was all for the idea of a non-consumerist Christmas--he just didn't like the idea of having to make something.

     But now, I have a new and improved suggestion for getting the stuff out of Christmas: symbolic donations. Rather than searching for a good price on something somehow appropriate for each family member and good friend, we would find a cause that had some connection to something we love about each loved one and make a donation in that person's name. The donation should be small--an agreed-upon amount among all participating. Times are tough, I say $10 per person is fine but since such gifts are tax-deductible, we could probably all afford a good deal more--even in this economy. Here's how it would work: I would do some online research to choose the cause and the recipient organization, and then make the donation in the person's name, asking that an announcement be sent to the person in whose name I'm giving. I then write out a Christmas card to the loved one explaining why I chose that organization to make a donation in his/her name. This card is the thing that should be opened on Christmas morning. Imagine, instead of unwrapping things and stuff, opening pretty little cards with an explanation of why you inspired a donation. It would be meaningful, possibly funny, certainly memorable--I think.

     I proposed this donation idea to my mother and husband a few weeks ago. It was received fairly well. My mother stopped frowning at one point. However, she has since gone on to talk about what she's buying for whom. The husband, however, was game. I think most of my family and his would be too. So, on this Black Friday, let me give the gift of an alternative view of Christmas morning:

For my husband: a donation to The Asha Trust in Uttar Pradesh
The card would say: "Dear Brian, I will always remember your telling me about the talk you had with your mother before she died. You had wanted to make sure she knew how important she was in your life and you instinctively focused on your memories of her teaching you to read. You let her know how precious that memory was to you. I've chosen your Christmas donation in honor of that last visit to see your mother and the love she passed on to you. This year, I've made a donation in your name to The Asha Trust in Uttar Pradesh. This organization teaches children to read and offers them asha (Hindi for "hope"). The Asha Trust is part of a reputable nonprofit and it describes itself like this: 'The project educates the children of socially and economically backward communities (primarily landless laborers or farmers on leased land) in a village near Babhnauli who (1) cannot afford education expenses and (2) do not even realise the importance of education. Currently, most children in the community either never attend school or leave schools by the ages of 10 to 12 to contribute to family income. The project attempts to achieve its goals by running a school that primarily provides basic literacy (Hindi, Math, Verbal, English); with plans to provide basic vocational training in the future.' This year, you are the sponsor for [name inserted]. This year, [name] will learn to read and write because of you. मेरी क्रिसमस, मेरे प्यार!"


For my mother: a donation to the Wildcare Foundation in Oklahoma
The card would say: "Dear Mom, I thought it would make you happy this Christmas to know that a donation has been made in your name to an organization that rescues wild animals in this state, rehabilitates them, and returns them to the wild. Your love for the birds and squirrels has inspired the choice of this organization. This year, you will help prevent the needless suffering and death of 14,000 song birds and 600 squirrels--and dozens of other wild creatures. They also rescue, rehabilitate, and release wild cats, foxes, etc. Your donation entitles you to attend an open house at the facility and the release of a creature being returned to the wild. All the little wild creatures are saying, 'Thanks, Pat!' I hope that makes Christmas a little brighter for you."


For my brother: a donation to Shared Housing of New Orleans
The card would say: "Dear Rick, This year, I've made a donation in your name to an organization that helps elderly and disabled New Orleanians stay in their homes. I remember how heart-broken you were when Katrina destroyed the city we love so much. You said you were glad Mama and Papa weren't alive to see it. THe donatation in your name will help some people remain in the neighborhoods they love. One of the things I thought you would particularly like about this non-profit is that they help people of New Orleans forge relationships of support and trust like we remember Mama and Papa had in their beloved neighborhood. Merry Christmas. I love you, Little Bro!"


For my sister-in-law: a donation to The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation
The card would say: "Dear Lisa, This year, I've made a donation in your name to an organization that helps save underfunded music programs by providing instruments for students who could not afford them otherwise. I see this as an investment in putting a few more people like yourself in the world because when these kids catch the joy of music, they will pass it down to their children like you have done. Thank you for creating a home filled with joy and love. The world needs more people like you. Merry Christmas!"

It takes a bit of time to research these organizations but I was able to pull these four would-be gifts together in a single day. One more day for the nieces and nephews, another for Brian's family, and I will have spent no more money than usual but will have made very personal gifts. Inviting all these people to gift us in this same way isn't hard to ask since it need cost no more in time and money and is tax-deductible too. I've gone back and forth on the question of the children in the family. Does a 10-year-old want this kind of gift? Probably not--but is that a reason not to give a donation in their name for Christmas? Yeah, they'd be happier opening a toy--at first--but I can easily image the sweet and sensitive children of our siblings getting into this. And isn't it a great education in the meaning of Christmas?

Now I will see what the family and friends have to say about this blog post. Will this version of a non-consumerist Christmas take off?

UPDATE: The husband and Mom have read this and Brian's happy with the idea. My mother giggled through the part about her. Not sure what that means yet. I'll give her some time. She did like the organization I picked for her.

8 comments:

Susan said...

I saw the link off of Brian's page. It is a nice way to approach a non-consumerist Christmas. To your comment about a 10 year old, if they like animals the program to adopt an animal at the zoo is usually popular and one they can visit throughout the year. My personal favorite was introduced through a gift exchange at church years ago. The couple gave me a coupon book with a coupon a month for different things that they could do or make for me and my family. It was a delight and so very personal. I think that something like it moves away from some of Brian's concerns about having to make something and opens it up to being able to do things for you instead.

I enjoyed what you shared and look forward to sharing it with my friends. I hope you guys have a great time in India.

Dr. Patrick D. Enright said...

Great idea! I'm reminded of the Xmas, not long after I got married, when we simply didn't have the money to buy gifts for our families. My wife had the wonderful idea of the two of us spending a couple days baking bread for everyone. We may have gotten some funny looks, but everyone liked the bread.

Alex said...

How is this different from giving someone a card that said "I gave the hundred bucks I was going to give you to the Salvation Army."?

I'll admit to you that the money is needed by these organizations, but you have to be an incredibly selfless and highly controlled person to not get angry about something like this. Many people would either view this as either a joke or an insult, mostly the latter. In my opinion (not humble at all), if I were going to do this I would simply not announce it - do good by stealth and with humility, don't do it just so you can pat yourself on the back for it.

It's a fine idea to disdain expensive, useless things that are common gifts at Christmas. But a gift that you give to someone else and not to the person you pretend to give it to is not a gift to that person.

Jennifer Low said...

My mother donates to Heifer International every year for her grand-daughters (my daughters). They love it! Daphne gives (gets?) a pig, while Pippa is giving (getting) bees this year. Granted, Mom will also give them some presents they can hold in their hands but she's perfectly right--they have an overabundance of toys and should learn that giving is the greatest joy. Pippa has only 5 things on her list this year. One is an Ipod, so we'll also be making her some playlists from what we have. I'm not sure we could totally give up concrete presents, but I must say that my house is pretty full! I like Susan's suggestion a lot, and may try it in the future.

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

Susan,
Excellent idea! And the zoo animal idea is great for kids. It could generate an interest in researching information about that animal. (I'm a sucker for anything that provokes curiosity in kids.)

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

Patrick,
That is a lovely Christmas memory! In our house, it would not be a two-person enterprise as the husband doesn't do baking. (sigh)

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

Now, Alex, let's take our cynical hat off for a little while.

I like to believe that people don't view their Christmas gifts as something owed them--something that they are entitled to. I think my friends and relatives all *know* that the Salvation Army is, frankly, more entitled to a donation than they themselves are. I don't think I'm wrong in assuming that the cards I would send announcing their "gifts" would be well received.

Here's a little Christmas challenge for you: Imagine a world where people want to know they are loved much, much more than they want to have gifts and money. Imagine that, in this vaguely possible world, people's best Christmas memories are of giving and not receiving. In this barely possible world, feeling connected to other people (both friends and strangers, in this country and in every country) is the best feeling possible--a feeling of contentment and belonging. Can you imagine that? Now, what if this far lovelier world were all around you? I'm arguing that it is. That's good news. Why not go with it? Why not assume that the very best in you is also in other people?

Emily Bruza said...

Dr. Mrs., I just read this and I think it is a wonderful idea. I have a folder in my filing cabinet marked "special" and it is chock full of letters my aunt would write to me as a child after I asked her to be my pen pal. I do not remember any gift she ever gave me in my entire life (and she's never missed an occasion), but these little cards with her answers to my rudimentary questions about the color of the grass in Ava, Missouri mean the world to me :)