Friday, April 8, 2011

Losing My Religion

I became a university professor because I wanted, more than anything, to work in a field that did real, concrete good for ordinary working people. I wanted to work with people who were not honor students, not independently wealthy, not privileged in any way. I wanted to show people who thought they weren't good at reading and writing that they could do it. As an undiagnosed dyslexic who got a PhD in Composition/Rhetoric/Literacy, I have tricks and methods that have given me the thin end of the wedge into advanced literacy against all odds. In my graduate studies, I found that the little memory systems I had invented to get myself through the school system were very like ones the ancients used in a world before writing. I discovered theorists who explained logically how and why electronic literacy works differently from print literacy and I saw in this an advantage for people like myself.

Yes, I would use my knowledge of Rhetoric to analyze Literacy problems so I could effectively teach Composition to pretty much anyone. That's work I could spring out of bed every morning to do. It was honorable. It used my particular gifts. It was obviously a calling. Yes, I actually mean a calling from God. Catholic education taught me that I was responsible for using my talents to benefit my community and I felt enormously blessed to have a clear view of how I could do that. I even told friends and family that my time as a graduate student was like being in the seminary for the priesthood (usually to explain why I wasn't playing and partying like I did as an undergraduate). Until last year, my life had purpose and direction. I had passion for my work and was rewarded with tenure at a rural regional university that exactly fit my abilities. But, last September, I resigned from that job. I resigned from my calling. It has been very much like losing my religion. It's a painful shock to my worldview and my identity. I'm still struggling with this.

I had to quit because I was the target of my dean's petty corruption. Of course, deans are often victims of the Peter Principle. Every academic has had at least one. However, the petty corruption that led me to walk away from that particular job made me question the mission of the university--first, this one university, and then the entire enterprise. Of course, I've walked away from bad working conditions before--I imagine anyone with self-esteem has had to do that at least once in a career--but I did not leave my job in order to take another one in academe. When I looked at the reasons for the petty corruption, I found that my profession was not what I had thought. I was not viewed by my employer as an educator. I was employed to be a veil of legitimacy for an industry that needed to compete in the marketplace. The administration did not want me there to empower students. In fact, empowered students were the administration's worst fear. No, my employer wanted a PhD to sign off on grades because that's what accreditation demanded. My tenure was granted because they couldn't legally deny me. Law suits are administrators' only other fear. Petty corruption aside, an entirely new perspective on American academe has occurred to me and I can't shake it off. The profession I chose no longer exists. In its place is a corporate-model machine that will render higher education unrecognizable within ten years. In some places, the transformation will occur much more quickly because of the dreaded funding cliff that loomed even before the financial crisis. Now, that cliff is even steeper as stimulus money is about to run out.

Federal investigations into the practices of for-profit universities has revealed them to be nothing more than sponges for tax money. But the champions of deregulation are winning and they will change the way the university system works. The pro-corporate legislators will fight for the right of for-profit universities to make money. Academics have all already seen the ground-work being laid for the victory of corporate profits: mountains of new paperwork flooding the desks of every teaching professional. Syllabi now need to have "expected student outcomes" statements. We have found this a strange new task, a seemingly superfluous bit of nonsense. But it's not nonsense. It's a very important framework that must be in place for the dismantling of higher education to proceed. Even the last week's midnight madness budget fight included the issue of for-profit sleaze. The for-profits one that one and they will keep on winning.

For-profit universities are currently needing to demonstrate that the terrible job they do in preparing their students for career success is no worse than that of the traditional universities. Their investors, who are pulling down enormous profits amid shady business practices, have literally bought the standards for higher education. (Mind you, in most of the world, government offices oversee the accreditation of schools. The United States, however, has private accreditation entities.) The reason new "accountability" procedures are being forced on not-for-profit schools has nothing to do with educating students (any educator can tell you that this is, in fact, a great impediment to classroom learning), it's all about preparing not-for-profits to convert themselves into for-profit institutions.

Yes, that's where this is headed. The current economic crisis is being used to bust unions now. Tenure elimination is next, followed by states unloading the expense of their public universities in the name of fiscal responsibility. "After all," they will say, "there are successful profit-making models out there. Let the state schools be accountable for paying for themselves. If DeVry and Phoenix can do it...." The decades ahead will be spent on public debate about whether the universities are properly "accountable" for student learning, thereby leading higher education into the nightmare of standardized testing that primary and secondary education currently endure. Make no mistake, pushing higher education into that nightmare is an actual goal here. Standardized testing is big business--a big, shady business.

And that's the vision of higher education in the USA that I can't shake off. I can't make myself apply for another teaching job. It feels wrong. I've seen the little man behind the curtain. I've taken the red pill instead of the blue one. I've lost my religion. "But," I can hear my former students say, "even if the business is going to Hell, you can still help students, change their lives, make their worlds better places." Well, no, not really. I can make a difference in the lives of anyone I encounter by being truthful. I don't need a classroom to do that. And it compromises my ability to be truthful if I make a living in a profession I suspect may be on its way to becoming a scam. That sounds harsh and I am already receiving some scorn from former colleagues because I'm saying this--but, I really do believe it's true.

6 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

If I might point out something about "vocation" and divine callings (as I do at least claim to have some insight there, or ought to professionally - at least my congregation expects it of me).

We have multiple vocations. God has placed you here not only to be a teacher (and a wonderful one you were to me), but you are also a spouse, a friend, a citizen, a volunteer (on many things I am sure). Even as that official position of "educator" goes away, you will still use your God given talents to teach many.

Now, this doesn't change the fact that the tomfoolery to which you refer to there. Doesn't make the fact that you don't have a classroom any less sad or tragic... but I know and trust that there are still many good uses to which God is putting you.

I even read one this morning.

Anonymous said...

As a long term resident of NSU, I cannot disagree with your characterization of key leaders. It is a disappointment I have experienced many times (particularly with the one individual you identified).

However, our old English scholar Kenneth Burke has a good perspective on this (dramatism theory). Burke observes that the bureaucratic structures of men inevitably become "corrupt." Hierarchies and bureaucracies induce guilt. In dialog, people can improve their consciousness of material conditions of situations of oppression. This awareness calls attention to truth by linking incongruous words and deeds. But ultimately our drive for perfection may hurt ourself and others.

I worked in the private sector for 9 years, the leaders and resulting bureaucracies were distinctive, but ultimately no better than NSU or other universities I have known. I believe there is a certain universal element to bureaucratic leadership whether it is based on a survival instincts or just sheer egotism that leads to a level of pragmatism that many would see as unprincipled behavior or "corruption."

I am reminded of a story about the French Navy leader François Darlan that was published in Winston Churchill's World World II memoirs. As recounted by Churchill, on the eve of the fall of France in 1940, Admiral Darlan promised he would never let the French Fleet fall into Nazi hands. His authority over the Fleet was absolute. As a French patriot he had given indications that he would order the French fleet to British or American harbors and continue the fight against the Nazis. However he abruptly changed his mind and joined with the new collaborationist French Vichy government instead. Why?

Anonymous said...

As a military leader Darlan had a bureaucratically adversarial relationship with his nominal civilian superior the "Minister of Marine." When asked by a colleague why he had changed his mind Darlan replied: "I am now Minister of Marine." This did not mean that he had changed his mind in order to become Minister of Marine; but that being Minister of Marine he had a different point of view. Churchill concluded: "How vain are human calculations of self-interest!" Ultimately, the British had to attack and sink the French Navy who had just days before had been their allies (see 1940 Battle of Oran) . . .

Conversely, recent NSU history demonstrates the dangers of bureaucratic leaders more attuned with idealistic dialogic leadership styles and a conception of power that is jointly exercised with subordinates. More specifically I am thinking of Craig Clifford who was summarily dismissed in mid-year as the Dean of the College of Mathematics, Science, and Nursing several years ago. To me Clifford was a hero, but to many he might be seen as a failed leader.

Ultimately does the pedagogy of "leadership" stand as a praxis of the dominant organizational elites? Does power inevitably flow downward? Was Clifford too principled to be a bureaucratic leader? Can a leader find responsive "balance" between those they "govern" and the superiors they answer to? Or perhaps Pete Townsend was right:

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss . . ."

Perhaps a semantical distinction needs to be made between "leaders" versus "bureaucrats." Successful bureaucrats basically function to dominate their subordinates more efficiently and effectively in behalf of the dominant elites. Of course language strategies and other symbolic forms exist to disguise this harsh reality. The elites engage in sloganizing and in bureaucratic regimentation, but this only further entrenches the praxis of domination. To maintain organizational utility the bureaucrat has no choice but to deny true praxis to their followers, deny them the right to say their own word and think their own thoughts. Bureaucrats do not act dialogically and do not relinquish power. In these cases the dominant elites encourage passivity in the form of minimal consciousness. Executives create "activities" that fill passive consciousness with the illusion of substance.

Perhaps its an issue of culture? I do not know. Please excuse the ramblings . .

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

@Eric: Thank you. I've been your teacher and now you've been my minister. :)

@Anon: I like your distinction between "bureaucrats" and "leaders." I have seen actual leadership in academe, however, and it only exists when there is a structure of mutual dialogue among all involved. When leadership is not democratic, it is corrupt. These words have meaning.

I have to say, though, that I never could make sense of Kenneth Burke. I'm a Paulo Freire kind of gal.

Mark Scroggins said...

It's really interesting to read Marc Bousquet, How the University Works: Higher Education and the Low-Wage Nation, which tracks the Walmartization of the academy, along with Ernst Mandel's Late Capitalism, which pretty explicitly predicts the whole movement from almost 40 years back.

I know very much how you feel about the academy right now -- and sometimes wonder whether I'm hanging on because I idealistically believe that it's one of the few places left for free inquiry in a sea of profit-making enterprises, or because I don't have the imagination to figure out where the new pockets of resistance are going to emerge.

Certainly the internet, & blogs like this, are one such spot.

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

@ Mark: Yes to your "I idealistically believe that it's one of the few places left for free inquiry in a sea of profit-making enterprises, or because I don't have the imagination to figure out where the new pockets of resistance are going to emerge." Yes to both points. But even when one thinks she can see a pocket of resistance available, no one is going to pay and give health insurance to work that pocket. Until it completely disappears as we have known it, the academy is the last oasis. The system will not make a place of professional resistance again.