Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yesterday, I quit my job.

I have committed what is surely an act of utter madness in our culture: I walked away from a job that paid reasonably well and that had a remarkable level of security. Until today, I was a tenured Associate Professor at a university. I had wonderful students and a beautiful office, benefits, retirement--everything I'm supposed to value. When my work situation was no longer bearable to me, I negotiated my resignation over the course of several days and now find myself on day one of an entirely new life. This is, frankly, terrifying. It is possibly insane. It is certainly risky.

My book project has languished while I busied myself with making enough money to pay for a three-bedroom house on 3/4 acre of land. Of course, the house must be furnished, power bills paid, cable payments for the television and internet. Electronics must be bought that are up to date so that we can make use of that high-speed cable connection we're paying for. My husband and I must buy and maintain professional wardrobes. The car and lawnmower need gas. To make more time for the book project, we hired a cleaning woman to come in every other week. Still the book project languished--the book about how contemporary American culture is toxically inauthentic.

And now I realize why those whose minds I admire lived their lives in profound simplicity, why members of my church join orders that demand vows of poverty. I've read the philosophy, taught the classes, but that's not enough. It's not enough to know about Socrates, Christ, and Gandhi. It's not enough to believe in their wisdom. I have always known that I consume more resources than are my due in a world where hunger and poverty are the experience of most people. I have always believed this is wrong. Still, I live in a time and place that allows me to consider this acceptable. Why flout a system that's working for me? One reason nags at me: inauthenticity is the price for a life of privilege. Authenticity is only possible when our relationship to the material world is properly aligned with our values. If I put a picture of Christ or Gandhi on my wall but do not ask myself if my relationship to that wall is in keeping with the values that made me hang that picture, my life is not authentic. If how I spend my time and money is not in keeping with what I believe is important in life, my life is meaningless.

A life without meaning is terrifying. I have watched my students for 19 years struggle with this terror as they complete their studies. Increasingly, they graduate with a student loan debt that makes contemplation of meaningful work feel like selfishness to them. They begin their adult lives already enslaved to a system about which many have grave doubts. It's a good generation coming up now. They care about sustainability, even if their parents don't quite know what that is. They value human relationships more than technological advancement. They have ernest souls--more so than my own generation. I am writing this blog for them, as I am writing my book for them. They want to live authentic lives. I want to use my life to encourage them in this.

All of that high-minded talk is easy. Actually doing this will be difficult. I will have to down-size my life just to survive now. My mother and I will consolidate our households. My husband will be the bread-winner for our household. This is a burden on both of them. They claim they take it on willingly because they believe in what I feel I must write.

I am doing what I have always dreamed of doing and it will involve flouting my culture's economic values. The only reward for this will be my peace of mind.

9 comments:

Amberdawn Moore said...

Bridget,
I quit my first job as a student activities director without knowing what would happen next. I spent months before quitting trying to line up a new job, so that it would be "ok" for me to walk away. There were lots of reasons why I needed to quit that job, but mostly it was because I was being taken for granted and working myself to death. I hated going to work. I cried the whole way there...
Then, I went to a conference and saw others who were doing jobs similar to mine and they were happy. They had balance and joy. And I felt really jealous. I wanted that, too. That was on a Friday. The following Monday, I submitted my resignation. I was scared to death about what would happen next - how would I pay my student loans? Where would I live? What would I do with my time? But even with that uncertainty, there was a very empowering calmness that came over me. I just knew that it was all going to work out. I just had to trust it...The next day, I got a call for an interview. By the end of the week, I had a new job. And the next month, I started working on a project for a former President.

Trust your intuition and have faith that everything works out in the end, just as it should...You may not be able to see the solution yourself, but that does not mean that you are not already EXACTLY where the universe intends for you to be at that moment.

Unknown said...

Bridget, I am one of the students of which you speak. Upon my shoulders are debts I cannot even begin to pay: one to the student-loan creditors, one to my conscience, and one to humanity from which I cannot turn my back. I am an indentured servant to academia. I cannot afford, financially, to quite the task at hand, although I find the task singularly burdensome and generally unfulfilling. Financial debts must be paid and without the job that this education will presumably afford me, I cannot pay those debts. Therefore, the other debts that tear at my heart languish. However, ‘tis true, to quit my job would be the epitome of selfishness; I have children and a husband who need the financial support I provide. While a simple life would assuredly be better all-around for my family and me, it’s inordinately difficult to tell your child they cannot have the clothes that will help them “fit in” for example, because you, as an adult, have decided to live simply. So, I am compelled to work not only to provide the most basic of necessities but also in order to provide my children with the life they have come to expect due to peer pressure - the life of the upper middle-class majority.
I am trapped in a web of inauthenticity. We live in a house that is difficult to in good conscience accept: far too big (1800 square feet), far too posh, and far too expensive. We live here not out of choice, however, but out of legal constraints that tell us where we can and cannot live (Is this the U.S.? Sometimes I am not so sure.). On many levels, from religion and politics to global and economic sustainability, American culture is diseased. I am a cynical humanist. What a paradox to negotiate!

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

Amberdawn, thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. And your encouragement is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today. Thank you.

Anna, I know I have the opportunity to take this project on because I don't have children. Your love for them is beautiful. Don't underestimate them though. If, as you get older, you find you need to break away from inauthenticity, your children would come to respect this about you. They love you and know your heart. As they get older, your happiness will be of greater concern to them than the right clothes. I know that because I can see the values you have and know that your children are drinking those in.

Ruella Yates said...

Love and prayers for you, Bridget. I've seen you in your quest for authenticity, and am drawn to you in this escape from a shallow existence. When you visited our little ranch, the change was already visible. Do you remember Jenny's reaction to you? She looks within; she saw congruency and was drawn to you magnetically. I'll look forward to your updates, dear sister in the quest.

Yards said...

Dr. Cowlishaw--
Good luck. Keep it up. It's a noble venture.

(This is Melissa Miller.)

Anonymous said...

You and dad are two of the most wonderful, thoughtful, and inspirational people I have ever had the fortune to encounter. I am humbled and awed by your act of strength and humility - may it bring you joy.

Unknown said...

An excellent and sober start. I can't wait to see how the book evolves, on it's path to existence. Similar for this blog.

All the best,
Scott Coward

Anonymous said...

Good luck in this new adventure. It's awesome that you're being truer to your beliefs than most people including myself! Your book sounds fascinating! I can't wait to read it. May writer's blocker never slip it's ugly note under your door!

Good luck!
Chad Worsham

Bridget Cowlishaw said...

Thanks, Melissa, Blake, Scott, and Chad!
I'm not comfortable with having my venture called noble. There are ways in which I am being selfish. But I'm feeling called. Therefore, this is either the best thing I've ever done or I am no longer a sane person. If I'm no longer sane, I hope I slip into a very happy delusion. 8D